Monday, October 5, 2009

Women

by Cindy

Many of you have had questions about women and the way women are treated and perceived. We definitely plan to pass along our insights on that. For now, just a personal experience on how women are treated.

The University has a wonderful system where you can get a lot of government documents (visas, driving licenses, etc.) on campus. One of the services they provide is a local Police Officer who comes to campus to process your drivers license. However, campus was closed for the week following Ramadan, and so Jeff and I decided we would set out for the local Traffic Office to get my license on our own. Our first attempt was unsuccessful as they were still closed for the holiday. We set our again a couple of days later and did better. When we walked in we immediately saw the "Ladies Services" room so I headed that way. Many public places have separate lines and/or rooms for women. Some in the West might regard this as discrimination, but over here, it's more like chivalry. Women shouldn't have to associate with men and should have a special line that (generally) moves faster than the men's line. That way they can return home quickly and minimize their exposure to the "hassles" of city life.
Since I was headed to "Ladies Services", this left me to take the journey on my own and Jeff could only sit in the lobby and wait. The windows are mirrored glass so he couldn't even see inside. The receptionist told me I needed to fill out a form, in Arabic, and once complete, they would process my license. I told her the obvious, "I don't know Arabic" and she told me "behind the building." They tell you these things and, right or wrong, I say "okay" and walk away. I figure that since I am an educated woman, I can figure this out.... I leave the women's area and find Jeff, "I need to go behind the building." Jeff points to an information desk and so I show that guy the form, tell him I need it in Arabic and ask him where I should go. "Behind the building, typist." I now have two sources telling me to go behind the building and now I think I am looking for a typist. Off I go - behind the building. Yep - there are four areas, all clearly labeled for Typing Services, so I choose the one for me - License. They speak great English, tell me the forms they need and then talk in Arabic about the price I should pay. It started at 10Dirhams, went to 15 Dirhams and they finally settled on 20 Dirhams ($5.45 - even if I was being overcharged, it's still no big deal). About 10 minutes later, I now have my form in hand and head back to the Ladies Services receptionist.

She points to the room across from her so I go get in line. I know I need to take a vision test to get my license and I see the big E on the wall so I assume I'm in the right place. The traffic Officer / Ambulance person working in this room is nice, her uncle lives in Texas and she hopes to visit on her next holiday. About 10 minutes later I pass my eye exam, get my blood typed (they do that everywhere here, not sure why) and she adds to my bundle of papers. I head back to the receptionist who this time points to her right. I go to that desk and she says, "no" and gestures even further right. I go to the next desk and receive a nod of approval. This lady takes my paperwork, tells me to sit down and spends the next 20 minutes texting and talking on her phone. She had an earpiece to her phone tucked behind her shaila (head scarf) so when her cell would ring, she would pick up her desk phone and hold it to the ear that didn't have the earpiece to act like she was talking on her desk phone (but it was really her cell phone). Then when she wanted to text, she would hold up a piece of paper to block everyone from seeing what she was doing. I just sat and watched and waited.

I thought I had brought all of the necessary paperwork with me - 1) a "no objection letter" from my husband, 2) two pictures, 3) passport with residence visa and 4) 140 Dirhams. The first thing she asked for was a piece of paper I didn't have - a copy of my sponsor's passport. So I head out to find Jeff and get his passport. She tells me she needs a copy of it and I can go back to the typist and pay them for a copy. Luckily Jeff already had a copy so I take that back to her. After more texting and talking, she hands me my paperwork and tells me to, "go next door, in the middle, to reception, get signature."

"Okay."

I find Jeff, we head next door. Next door turns out to be the men's area for licensing so I guess they assumed I didn't mind mixing with the opposite sex. We found a desk and the officer immediately helped me over all of the men crowding around. I said I needed "a signature" to which he responded "okay" and walked into the office behind the desk. About five minutes later another officer showed up, helped me first, and went looking for the first officer. In another three minutes, a third officer showed up, helped me first, and took off looking for the first two officers. He almost immediately returned and handed me my bundle of paperwork.

At this point, Jeff and I assume that I have what I need and I return to Ladies Services to hand off my paperwork to the texting worker. She again tells me to sit. Eventually she takes my money, 190 Dirhams (note that it is 50 more than I should have paid) and asks for my sponsor's phone number. She completes the transaction and both Jeff and I receive this text message.


She then sends me back to the receptionist to print my license. I wait for about 45 minutes for her to print it out but alas, after paying a little more than I should have, I am a legal driver in the UAE!





1 comment:

  1. wow. After that, I need some coffee from Starbucks. But, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete