Monday, March 21, 2011

Magnets

by Cindy

For those of you that have known me for a long time or have ever been into a house of mine, you know that I am one who loves order and prefer the minimalist style.  Less is more.  As such, I have never been one for "stuff" on the refrigerator.  No reminders of dentist or eye appointments, no soccer schedules, no freebie magnets from the local pizza delivery joint.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  I like a clean refrigerator.

This Christmas many of you were kind enough to send us your Christmas cards. It was so nice to receive cards and pictures of people half a world away and be reminded of the season.  It was special to us to be included on people's mailing lists.  When the pictures and cards arrived, I placed them all over our house so we could be reminded that it was Christmas and be reminded of our friends.  When it came time to put away the tree and decorations, I could not yet part with all of the cards and pictures.  (That in itself says something because I am not one to keep things around.)  After moving the pile of cards around from place to place in the house I finally decided that I needed to make a decision on what to do with them.  I know it sounds ridiculous but it took me about two weeks to convince myself that it was okay to 1) keep everything and 2) put the pictures on the refrigerator.  

Little did I know that making the decision was only half the battle.  Since I had never had refrigerator magnets before, I was not even sure where to find them.  On top of that, add that I live in a foreign country and things are not always where you expect them to be in the store (that can be another blog for another time).  I looked around in a few stores to no avail so I finally sent out an email to my local friends asking where I might find some magnets.  I appreciated their feedback but there was no way I was going to get the "tourist" magnets that show pictures of the buildings here in the city, palm trees, beaches, etc.  It is a big enough deal for me to do this in the first place, I can't give in completely!  Thankfully one of the suggestions was an art store that Jeff and I really like.  Sure enough, they had some tasteful magnets for me.  

It is ridiculous, I know. I'm willing to take baby steps to get over myself.  Here are my cute magnets and some of the pictures we now see each and every day. 




If you are not part of our collection, we would love to add you.  Let me know and I will send you our address!

3 comments:

  1. Oh now I feel like an awful friend! (We didnt send one to Katie either if that makes it any better). What is your address? (You can send it on facebook if you want)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got a correct postcard that actually had pictures. Some of ours got messed up in publishing and people got our message on one side and someone else's message on the other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way!!! And, this year for the first time, I taped all of my photo cards to my frig. They are still there! Send me your address! I'll send you a belated Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete