Thursday, February 7, 2013

Facial Hair - It's not Just for November


As a follow-up to the blog post we just wrote on women's headscarves, I thought I'd also write an article about men's appearance.  

One of the most important things a man can have in the Arab world is facial hair.  While it's not compulsory for men to have a beard and/or mustache, it's generally the preferred look.  This is true for Muslims and for non-Muslims alike.  In the same way that Western men are generally perceived as dignified for having a "clean cut" look, Arab men are perceived as being dignified (and often religious) for wearing a beard.

The following article from the BBC has some great pictures of facial hair worn by leaders in the region - and some nice commentary on what the perceptions are that go with it.

Enjoy the pictures from the article - as well as a recent one of Cindy and I.  I guess I don't look quite a religious as I once did...


1 comment:

  1. very interesting facts has been written in this blog.nice story writing Dhow cruise Dubai

    ReplyDelete