Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Miscellaneous Observations

by Cindy
As we have begun to get settled and started classes this week, I have made a few mental notes that I thought I would share.

1. Everything here is about face to face contact. They are not as big on email, texting and using the phone. As a result, you walk a lot more. At least it is a healthier alternative since it is not the most time efficient.

2. I'm going to have to trade in my three inch stilettos for a smaller heel (see #1).

3. Every floor is made of marble, I have yet to see a carpeted room. The marble is beautiful but painful on the feet (see #1 and #2).

4. All of the bathrooms have a western toilet / bidet combination. This means that the floor is usually slightly wet (with clean water).

5. This is a formula for disaster: #1 (walking a lot) + #2 (stiletto heels) + #3 (marble floors) + #4 (wet floor) = disaster. Nothing has happened yet but I live in fear every time I go to the bathroom.

6. My 10th grade geometry teacher taught me that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. That is still true but I think the formula needs a variable for air conditioning. It may be that the path from my office in the Library to the Business building is a nice straight 30 degree angle. But, I can walk from my office, through the main building (right angle) and then to the business building and get some A/C in the middle of the walk. That's the path I choose every time! Whatever path takes me through the most A/C is the path I am taking.

1 comment:

  1. i am so happy to hear how things are going for you. i am sad i missed seeing you guys before you left. this is really funny. love!

    ReplyDelete