Thursday, December 31, 2009

Grade Souk

The Arabic word for market is "souk". So we have a lot of souks over here. The Gold Souk, the Spice Souk, the Electronics Souk, the Carpet Souk, the Perfume Souk, and even the Camel Souk.

We also have something the professors at the school derisively refer to as the "Grade Souk". It's official University policy that professors must schedule office hours after finals have been given and after grades have been posted - 'consultation hours' is what they're officially called. It's intended to be an opportunity for students to stop by and see how they did on their final exam and/or final projects for the course. The thing you need to know, though, is that given that it's a part of the culture here to negotiate on things, the 'consultation hours' are actually a Grade Souk.
Both Cindy and I have had several students come by trying to negotiate a better grade on their final, on their attendance grade, on the course, or just looking for a little "help" from me. Now this still happens in the States, it's just not quite so overt. Here are a few of the best stories from the Grade Souk.

[As you read these, please keep in mind that most of our students are very conscietious and diligent - and most of them didn't ask for any favors. These are the most extreme - and funny - cases. I could tell stories like this from Texas Tech, too.]

Female Student 1: But professor - I was here on these two days that you've counted me absent. I just forgot to sign in.
Dr. Baker: Really? Everyone on your row signed in. Your friend that you come to class with every day signed in. Twenty other people signed in that day. If you were there, how did you miss the sign-in sheet?
Female Student 1: I just know I was there.
Dr. Baker: OK - so do you have some evidence that you were there? Did we take exams those days? Do you have some notes that you took that day?
Female Student 1: I turned in my homework that day! I know I turned in my homework then!
Dr. Baker: Really? The days you're asking me about are both Thursdays. We haven't had a single homework assignment due on a Thursday all semester. Try again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Male Student 1: Sir - I was really hoping that you could help me out in the course. I was really hoping to pass the course this semester.
Dr. Baker: You missed 19 classes and didn't turn in 7 of 12 homework assignments. You should have helped yourself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Male Student 2: Sir - I was wondering what I can do to pass the course.
Dr. Baker: [looking over grade spreadsheet] Well, right now, your average in the class is a 56. You would need a 105 on the final exam to pass the class with a 70.
Male Student 2: So it's possible and you would help me out?
Dr. Baker: It's possible, but given that your grade on the midterm was a 56, and given that this is a comprehensive final, it seems unlikely that you'll get a 105.
Male Student 2: But you can help me with my grade?
Dr. Baker: I'm going to help you out by giving you some advice. If I were in your position, I would concentrate other classes where I have a better chance of passing. Good luck.

I hope you enjoyed reading about some of our stories from the Grade Souk. Stay tuned this weekend (or maybe early next week) for info on how we spent the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment