Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Return to America

by Cindy

I was fortunate to go to Boston this past week for my brother in law's ordination. [Thanks Derek for planning it so we could make it!] It was my first trip back to America since we left nine months ago. I was not sure what it might be like but here are a few of my thoughts and observations:

  • We took in a Red Sox game and it felt very American. I was comfortable in the crowds, knew to stand for the 7th inning stretch, knew the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and the food smells were familiar.
  • Everyone in Boston speaks English. I don't know if I heard another language the whole time I was there. On my layover in NYC I finally heard other languages and realized that I missed hearing all of the tongues from the different tribes.
  • I still prefer to shop in America. I am more familiar with sizes, brands and styles in America. In Dubai we have European styles, sizes and brands and Jeff and I are not yet comfortable with those.
  • I felt rushed at the restaurants in America. I like the Dubai style of waiting around and really enjoying your meal.
  • The weather in Boston and NYC was amazing. I actually got cold a couple of times in Boston. The weather was cool and crisp and the sky was so blue. Their summers are like our winters. Makes me wonder why in August, I'm trading Dubai heat for Texas heat!
  • I didn't miss the morning call to prayer (currently around 4 AM) but I did miss the birds waking me up each morning.
  • I was thankful to be able to wear shorts in public!

All in all, I missed Dubai while I was gone. Even though I was gone for a week, I was ready to get back. I love where we live and love the people we have met. Dubai fits me more than any other place we have lived thus far. It was nice to see family but I'm glad to be home!

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how fast paced America is when you come back from overseas.

    ReplyDelete