Friday, August 6, 2010

Reentry

by Cindy
We have been back in America for a few days now and have been able to see friends, family and meet our new niece. We are still a bit jet lagged but are coming around more and more each day. Here are some random thoughts/happenings since we have returned:
  • I am noticing covered women more and more. Maybe there are just more of them in DFW than when I lived here but I have seen them at the grocery store, in the mall, and at the gas station. I like it, it feels like home.
  • I didn't really like pumping my own gas and having to turn off my car, specifically the AC, while doing so. I prefer full service.
  • I drove in the left lane on the highway yesterday and no one flashed their headlights at me but I kept expecting it.
  • I got my Texas drivers license renewed and was wishing for the "women's only" line.
  • I went to the grocery store and was overwhelmed with all of the choices. I felt a little bit like that guy in "The Hurt Locker."
  • Jeff and I both feel like we have two homes - we feel at home here in DFW and in Dubai. It is weird that we are living two separate lives.
  • In some ways the old neighborhood has changed - the trees are huge - and in some ways not at all. We pass by houses and I think of people from years ago. I'm thankful that I can catch up with a few on FB and others in person while I am here.
  • A dear friend of mine gave birth to her first child and I was blessed to (unexpectedly) be there for that.
  • We have been having a good time sharing our story of how we got to Dubai and all of the experiences of the first year.
  • I'm enjoying listening to the radio and the songs that are new (to me).
  • We have had BBQ, wings, peach cobbler and homemade ice cream. Cream gravy and sausage are still on the list.

We are looking forward to all of our time in America, hopefully we get to see some of you while we are here!

No comments:

Post a Comment