Saturday, October 2, 2010

Back for Year 2

by Cindy


We were fortunate to have such a long summer break this year that when we returned to the UAE it was as if we were arriving all over again. At least this time we were familiar with most things but I did try to pay attention to things that I missed and things I was happy to return to or even just things that are different that maybe I hadn't really noticed until after being back in America for so long. So, here are my random thoughts:


• In the UAE, you see a pickup game of football/soccer or cricket in any available green space. If you want to play, you just walk up and join in. I like seeing the games around and l live that sports can unite people anywhere in the world.

• I have noticed that the ring tones on phones are totally different in the UAE that they are in America.

• In the UAE, everyone stops at red lights and slows down at yellow lights. You get a heavy fine for running red lights here. You also get a heavy fine for speeding but everyone does that so I am not sure why the red light cameras deter offenders but the radars on the road do not deter speeding.

• Every car in the UAE has to have a monitor that alerts you when you hit 120 kph. Each car varies in exactly how it lets you know that you are speeding but our car beeps at you for a full 10 kph, from 120 to 130, and it is ANNOYING! I did not miss this at all.

• Similar to ring tones being totally different, smells are completely different between the two countries. I had actually noticed this when I returned to America so I stocked up on candles that smell good to me. In the UAE we do not have seasonal smells like fall or Christmas or things like that. I stocked up on pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon and other familiar scents.

• I love hearing multiple languages all around me. It is fun to be back in the UAE and hear so many tongues. It is even more fun when you can figure out what language people are speaking and you understand a few words. I love it!

• We have taxi's everywhere and that is nice, convenient, and quite cheap. It is always nice to be able to take a cab if you do not want to drive.

• One of my favorite things about the UAE (which probably comes as a surprise to many) is that I am not the majority. I love that when I look around me, most people are not white and do not speak English as their first language. I like being in the minority and always considering that other people do not think the same way I do. From a spiritual perspective, it is a great reminder to me that every tribe, tongue and nation will one day come together to worship.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love hearing about all the details of your life!!! Frying eggs on cars! Caitlin's birthday party! Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete