Friday, August 5, 2011

Living in Dubai is Like Living Without a Past

by Cindy

Here is a fun and short article about Dubai that a friend shared with me.  She was intersted in my comments (along with others) so I've added my brief comments, too.

Article

I like the article. I think it's accurate and for me, I know this is weird, but there is something attractive about "escaping from their culture, who long to forget their history, and who are content to live without the past." I am sure at some point I will again long for those things and desire to return to America. But for now, for me, I really like it here. I like the idea that the city/UAE is re-inventing itself, as are all of the people here, and I enjoy being a part of it.

The trick to all of this of course, is figuring out how to explain this to people who are still in America. They definitely don't get what's attractive about all of this.  




No comments:

Post a Comment