Thursday, September 27, 2012

It Pays to Support Your Team

The most popular sport here in the UAE is definitely soccer.  One thing that may surprise you about this is that a lot of fans get paid to go to the matches.  Seriously.




This is how it all started.  Back in the day (like, 10 or 15 years ago), the teams/clubs were primarily owned by families.  And so the team was an extension of the family.  And so just like when a family had you over to their home they would take care of you, when you go to the stadium, the family-owned team feels like they should take care of you.  The going rate for attending a match is about 50 dirhams ($13).  Admission is free.  There are bonuses for cheering, chanting, singing, and clapping.  Drinks and snacks may be included for the most vocal supporters as well.

[disclosure - I had no idea about this until I read about it in the paper today - but I'm definitely intrigued by it all - the full article is here ].

I have thought about checking out some of the local soccer matches just to see what it was like.  Now though, I know I need to be sure I get a fair price for my services.


No comments:

Post a Comment