Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homesick

by Cindy

I really don't get too homesick but when I do it is for two things - cold weather and Christmas.

When we back to the UAE from our visit to America this summer, I lit some candles around the house and attempted to freshen things up a bit.  The candle I chose for our bedroom was 'Creamy Pumpkin' from Bath and Body Works.  I always put the 'bedroom candle' on my nightstand that way I can even smell it when it's not lit.  Plus, Jeff's not big on smells so it's away from him.  This 'Creamy Pumpkin' candle has really thrown me for a loop!  To me, it smells like Christmas.  When I smell it, I feel like I should be able to walk into the living room and see the Christmas tree.  I think I should be able to walk outside and feel a cold chill in the air.  It seems that when I go to the mall, Christmas carols should be playing in all of the stores.  The candle makes me homesick - it hits right at the only two things I really miss.

In case you are not familiar with where we live, it is in the desert, in a country that does not celebrate Christmas.  When I walk into the living room, I don't see our Christmas tree but I can hear the call to prayer.  When I walk outside, I do not feel a cold chill (I never have and never will for that matter).  I think the temperature today was 102F.  When we go to the mall, we don't hear Christmas carols but we do hear R&B songs and the call to prayer (go figure, I know).

So, even though we had just returned from America I found myself homesick.  'Creamy Pumpkin' went back into the closet and I replaced it with 'Autumn.'  I seem to be doing much better now.





No comments:

Post a Comment