Thursday, December 16, 2010

A New Neighbor - Part II

by Cindy

As I mentioned in a previous post, I took some food over to a new neighbor. In doing this, I didn't think it through really well and now I am in a bit of a predicament.

I knew it was highly likely that she would reciprocate the gesture and bring me something that is common in her culture. She did just that today - the rings are a cookie stuffed with dates. The ones with a touch of purple on then are pistachios held together with a pistachio paste. The other ones are pine nuts held together with a pine nut paste. They are all VERY good. It is all food that she had at her wedding.












Now for the predicament...When I took over the apple crisp, I took it in a disposable pan. I should have known better! What should have happened is that I would take her something in my dish and then she would return the dish to me filled with some food from her culture. I didn't think it through really well so now she has brought me something in one of her dishes and I'm not entirely sure how to get her dish back to her! I really don't think that I can give her an empty dish. If I make something else then we are in a cycle of food with me always preparing one more dish than her when the dishes are in the right place. That's not going to work either. I'm going to have to ask around and figure out how to correct my culture faux pas!

No comments:

Post a Comment